As the preacher who wrote Hebrews puts it, “In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days, God has spoken not through laws, ordinances, stipulations or principles but through the very person of a Son – Jesus.” (Hebrews 1:1-4) The preacher powerfully presents Jesus in the following amazing ways:
- He is the Heir of all things
- The universe was made through Him
- He is the radiance of God’s glory
- He is the exact representation of God’s being
- He is the One who sustains all things by His powerful word
- He made purification for sins
- He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven
- He became superior to angels.
But all those do not mean that Jesus is somehow aloof or removed from us. The preacher of Hebrews wants us also to know the following about Jesus:
- He is a brother sharing in our humanity and our struggle with sin (2:11)
- He was tempted in every way, yet did not give in, so he can help us in our time of trial and temptation (2:18)
- He is the great High Priest who is able to sympathize with our weaknesses (4:14-16)
- He is able to completely save those who come to God through Him because He always lives to intercede for them (7:25)
- He is our forerunner into that true heavenly sanctuary (9:24) where his followers may also enter without fear or guilty conscience (9:14) since He is our once-for-all sacrifice (9:27) who makes it possible for us to draw near to God through the new and living way (10:22)
- He is the Pioneer and Perfecter of our faith (12:1-3)
- He is the One through whom we may offer our sacrifice of praise to God (13:15)
- He is the great shepherd of the sheep (13:20) who came back from the dead.
Those words were written so that we might not grow weary and lose heart but throw off all that hinders us and run the race of life like Him!